Maus Law Firm

No Recovery

Call For a Free Consultation

(855) 999-5297

Million dollar advocates forum

Abused By Prison Authorities While Incarcerated? You May Be Able To Sue For Damages

The United States locks up a much larger portion of its people than any other country. With just five percent of the global population, American has twenty-five percent of the world’s prisoners. Although these incarcerated individuals do forfeit some their legal rights, they are protected from mistreatment and abuse at the hands of prison guards and other authorities.

It might seem like an uphill battle, but it is possible to get justice for a prisoner whose rights were violated while behind bars. If you or a loved one was the victim of such abuse, here are some options that may be open to you.

Submit a CRIPA Complaint

The Civil Rights of Institutionalized Persons Act (CRIPA) is a federal law that gives inmates the ability to report complaints of abuses and civil rights violations directly to the Department of Justice.  If the claim  is deemed credible, federal prosecutors will launch an investigation of the complaints in the accused prison, jail, or institution.

File a Civil Rights Lawsuit In Federal Court

The same laws that are used to sue police officers for police brutality apply to prisoners who have had their constitutional rights violated while behind bars. Both the Fourth and the Eight Amendment to the U.S. Constitution protect incarcerated individuals from mistreatment and abuse.


Client Testimonial

"Great Service and Great Results. Would Recommend Maus Law Firm to anyone."

Posted By: Chris B