Our Lawyers Represent Fort Lauderdale Homeowners and Business Owners in Flood Damage Claims After Hurricanes and Other Storms
Living on Florida’s Atlantic coast, the risk of your home or business sustaining flood damage as the result of a storm is a very real concern. Hurricanes and tropical storms threaten homes and businesses in Fort Lauderdale every year, and major storms often cause widespread damage. If your home or business has sustained flood damage, the recovery process will involve filing a claim under your flood insurance policy; unfortunately, this is rarely as simple and straightforward as it should be. Consulting with a flood damage lawyer is often your only way to recover.
Fort Lauderdale Flood Damage Lawyers for Flood Insurance Claims
At Maus Law Firm, we represent homeowners and business owners in flood damage insurance claims. We can help you file your claim if your home or business has just been damaged; and, if you are struggling to secure coverage (or if your claim has been denied), we can deal with your insurance carrier on your behalf. We handle flood and other property insurance claims on behalf of South Florida homeowners and business owners following hurricanes and other major storms and, if you have a claim, we can use our experience to enforce the terms of your flood insurance policy.
Understanding Your Florida Flood Insurance Claim
In Florida, standard homeowners’ insurance and commercial property insurance policies do not provide coverage for flood damage. As a result in order to obtain flood coverage you must purchase a separate policy.
Until 2014, purchasing flood insurance under the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) was the only option for Florida homeowners. But, a change in the law opened up flood insurance to the private market, and today Floridians have the option to shop for flood insurance coverage if they so choose. While this allows for rate shopping, it also means that filing a flood damage claim presents many of the same challenges as other types of other property damage claims.
As a result, homeowners and business owners often struggle to secure flood insurance coverage from their insurers. Some examples of common issues include:
- The insurance company fails to conduct a timely investigation, resulting in additional loss and unnecessary delays
- The insurance company wrongfully denies coverage on the basis that the damage resulted from wind and rain rather than flooding
- The insurance company fails to process individual claims in a timely manner as a result of being inundated with flood damage claims following a hurricane or other major storm
- The insurance company refuses to fully pay a flood damage claim despite all necessary evidence being available to prove the policyholder’s right to coverage
- The insurance company misrepresents the terms of coverage, ignores facts, accuses the policyholder of failing to mitigate the damage caused, or engages in other bad-faith practices
Regardless of the specific issue at hand, if you are struggling to obtain flood damage coverage, an experienced attorney can help.
Discuss Your Flood Damage Claim with Fort Lauderdale Flood Insurance Attorney Joseph Maus
If you would like help with your flood damage claim, we encourage you to get in touch. To schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with Fort Lauderdale flood damage attorney Joseph Maus, call us at 855-999-5297 or inquire online now.