Maus Law Firm

No Fee
We Win

Call For a Free Consultation

(855) 999-5297

Million dollar advocates forum

Fort Lauderdale Property Damage Lawyer for Your Home, Condo & Business

A home or office building is the most important purchase most of us will make during our lifetime. Most of us buy insurance coverage – windstorm, liability, flood, homeowners, and business interruption – to protect our homes and businesses. Yet, today’s insurance policies are lengthy, complex contracts full of exceptions, exclusions, deductibles, and conditions that make the policy difficult to read, and sometimes even more difficult to recover from for your damage. When you call the Maus Law Firm, a top Fort Lauderdale property damage lawyer will handle property damage claims. 

Couple calling a property damage lawyer as roof leaks

Disagreeing with Your Insurance Claim for Property Damage

You have four options if you disagree with the amount the insurance company is offering you for your damage:

Most insurance companies create entire TV marketing campaigns designed to say that you’re part of the insurance company’s “family”. However, the reality of the insurance business is that insurance companies exist to make money. That means that insurance company needs to minimize the amount of claims it pays out; meanwhile, maximizing the premiums that it collects.

When an insurance company doesn’t offer to pay you the full (or fair) amount of your property damage, you need to be prepared to fight. While many homeowners are hesitant to go to court – fearful of a lengthy or expensive legal battle against a big-name insurer – settling for less than your claim was worth can end up costing you more in the long-term. The repairs your home needed can continue to pile up, lowering the value of your property. Hiring the best Fort Lauderdale property damage lawyer you can find will save you the headache later.

The Process for Property Damage Claims & Florida Property Owner’s Obligations

When making insurance claims for property damage, it is helpful to know how the process typically unfolds. Our Fort Lauderdale property damage lawyer knows that while there are many potential scenarios, the property owner should first understand their own obligations under the insurance policy. Second, the property owner should understand the reasons for the insurance company’s denial of their claim.

Any property insurance policy will place some obligations on the property owner when they make a claim for property loss. These obligations will differ from policy to policy, but the following are several of the most common requirements.

  • Notice of Loss: The property owner is generally required to provide notice of the loss to the carrier promptly. The policy should provide a specific deadline. Failure to meet this deadline could result in the claim being barred.
  • Protect Against Further Damage: The property owner is also required to take reasonable steps to protect the property from further damage. For example, if the roof of a property is damaged by a hurricane, the property owner must attempt to place temporary covering to protect the interior. However, the exact conduct that is considered “reasonable steps” will often be subject to interpretation.
  • Proof of Loss: After making a claim, the property owner will need to submit a proof of loss statement. This statement is generally signed under penalty of perjury and itemizes the damages. A typical deadline for the proof of loss is 60 days after a request by the insurance carrier.

Our Fort Lauderdale Property Damage Lawyer Can Help You Deal With Insurance Company Denials

The following are some common reasons for Florida insurance companies to deny property damage claims.

Failure to Pay Premiums:

This is one of the more common reasons to deny claims, since nonpayment of premiums can end policy coverage. While carriers are allowed to cancel coverage due to nonpayment, there are certain exceptions that can serve as excuses for late payments.

Exclusions in Coverage:

Often the type of claimed damage is listed in the policy’s exclusions and therefore not covered. Common examples include flood damage, earthquake damage and mudslides. Although these exclusions are perfectly legal under insurance law, each particular case is different. Whether some types of damage are properly excluded from coverage is open to interpretation of the facts and the policy language.

Inadequate Proof of Damage:

When a carrier claims a policyholder did not provide adequate proof of damage, it often relies on the proof of loss provision in the policy. This provision may set certain requirements for the type of proof that must be submitted.

Non-disclosures by the Policyholder:

This reason for denial rests on the insurer’s contention that the policyholder failed to disclose key information when they applied for the policy or made the claim.

Fort Lauderdale Property Damage Lawyer for Bad-Faith Insurance Claim Denials

In addition to these potentially-valid reasons for denying homeowners’ and business owners’ property damage claims, insurance companies will often issue bad-faith denials as well. If your insurance company denies your property damage claim in bad faith, you may be entitled to additional compensation above and beyond the amount of coverage included under your policy. Examples of bad-faith insurance practices include:

Misrepresenting the Terms of Coverage:

Misrepresenting the consequences of failure to pay premiums, misrepresenting your policy limits or policy exclusions, and making other representations about the terms of coverage are all common examples of bad-faith insurance practices. 

Failing to Conduct a Timely Investigation:

Once you file a property damage claim, your insurance company is required to conduct a timely investigation in order to gather the evidence needed to make a decision regarding coverage. If you cannot get your insurance company to send an adjuster, you may have a claim for bad-faith compensation. 

Failing to Issue a Timely Decision Regarding Coverage:

Likewise, once your insurance company investigates your claim, it is legally required to make a timely decision regarding coverage. Unnecessary delays are often indicative of insurance bad faith.

Refusing to Consider Verified Facts:

In some cases, property damage insurance companies will ignore clear facts that support insureds’ coverage claims. Similar to unnecessary delays, refusing to consider verified facts is a common bad-faith insurance tactic. 

Making Low-Ball Settlement Offers:

While property damage insurance companies are entitled to negotiate in good faith, they cannot legally attempt to take advantage of their policyholders with low-ball settlement offers. If your insurance company’s offer is nowhere near the amount you are owed, you may have a claim for insurance bad faith. 

Trust a Top Fort Lauderdale Property Damage Lawyer with Your Claim

In addition to these questions, there are several different types of policies offered by homeowner insurance companies that contain various types of coverage. There is a policy used for owner occupied properties, one for properties that are rented out, and yet another type policy used for condo units. Where do you turn to get help?

When an insurance company denies a property damage claim or delays payment, there are numerous ways in which a Fort Lauderdale property damage lawyer can help. Your lawyer can review the facts of your claim, review and analyze your policy and navigate the claims process on your behalf. In addition, your Fort Lauderdale property damage attorney can pursue litigation against the carrier if needed. In fact, the carrier may be more likely to pay your claim or provide a reasonable settlement when it knows you have a well-qualified property damage attorney on your side.

The Maus Law Firm has been successfully handling insurance related claims since 1993. The Firm is “AV” rated by Martindale Hubbell, the highest ranking for legal ability and ethics. The Maus Law Firm has been recognized continuously since 2011 by Florida Trend Magazine’s “Legal Elite” ranking, and named a “SuperLawyer” by West Thompson Publishing. The property damage attorneys at The Maus Law Firm will competently and aggressively represent you in your homeowner property damage insurance claim, or commercial business insurance claim. Call 1-855-999-5297 now for a free consultation. We come to you and also do a free inspection!