Was Your Home or Business Damaged in a Hurricane, Tornado or Other Storm? Our Fort Lauderdale Storm Loss Lawyers Can Help You Recover.
Almost every year, at least one major storm ravages portions of South Florida. Hurricanes, tropical storms, hail storms and tornadoes cause widespread damage to homes and businesses, often causing billions of dollars in property damage. For homeowners and business owners who experience property damage, filing a successful insurance claim is a crucial first step in the recovery process. Unfortunately, this often proves far more difficult than it should.
Our firm represents Fort Lauderdale homeowners and business owners in storm loss property damage insurance claims. With decades of experience, we are intimately familiar with the insurance companies’ tactics, and we are well-versed in the manner in which insurance companies process their policyholders’ claims. Our property damage attorneys can help whether your home or business has just been damaged or you have been struggling to secure coverage for some time; and, if your insurance company has denied your claim in bad faith, we can seek additional compensation under Florida law.
We Help Homeowners and Business Owners Recover Their Losses After Major Storms in Fort Lauderdale
When dealing with property damage resulting from a major storm, the challenges involved in securing insurance coverage are compounded by the fact that your insurance company is very likely to be overwhelmed with claims. But, the insurance companies know that South Florida is at high risk for being hit by major storms, and they must be prepared to timely process all claims consistent with their contractual obligations and – in the case of home insurance claims – the Florida Homeowner Claims Bill of Rights. Our lawyers help homeowners and business owners enforce their contractual and statutory rights in claims involving:
- Damage caused by downed power lines
- Water damage
- Flood damage
- Wind damage
- Hail damage
Under standard homeowners’ insurance and business property insurance policies, coverage is available for all types of storm-related property damage—with the exception of damage caused by flooding. Flood damage is covered under a separate policy which can be purchased either from a private insurance company or under the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). If you have the coverage available, our attorneys can help you obtain payment under your policy for:
- Damage to personal property
- Damage to equipment and inventory
- Damage to walls and flooring
- Damage to kitchens and bathrooms
- Damage to roofs
- Damage to garages, out buildings and other exterior structures
- Mold resulting from water intrusion
Take These Steps if Your Home or Business has Been Damaged in a Hurricane, Tornado or Other Storm
In order to give yourself the best chance of securing coverage for your storm loss property claim, there are some steps you should try to take promptly. As soon as possible after a damaging storm, homeowners and business owners in Fort Lauderdale should:
1. File a Claim with Your Insurance Company
You will want to file your claim right away. Not only will this ensure that you preserve your legal rights (if you wait too long, your insurance company may have grounds to deny coverage), but it will also help ensure that your claim is processed as quickly as possible.
2. Take Photos and Video of the Damage
Try to comprehensively document the damage to your home or business. Take plenty of photos and video, including both exterior and interior shots if it is safe to enter the building.
3. Take Reasonable (and Safe) Measures to Prevent Additional Loss
If it is safe to do so, try to take reasonable measures to prevent additional loss. For example, if you can safely remove undamaged personal property from your home or business, you should do so in order to protect it from damage caused by moisture or mold.
4. Keep All Receipts and Other Relevant Records
If you need to buy clothing or pay for lodging due to being forced out of your home, be sure to document all of your expenses. These expenses may be covered under your insurance policy as well.
5. Contact a Fort Lauderdale Property Damage Lawyer Promptly
As soon as possible, you should discuss your property damage claim with an attorney in Fort Lauderdale. In order to protect your claim for coverage, you will want to have an experienced attorney communicating with your insurance company and asserting your legal rights on your behalf.
How Our Lawyers Can Help With Your Fort Lauderdale Storm Loss Property Claim
At the Maus Law Firm, we handle our clients’ property damage insurance claims from start to finish. Our lawyers will deal with your insurance company for you, and we will work closely with you to ensure that you know everything you need to know about protecting your legal rights while you recover from the storm. When you choose our firm to represent you or your business:
- You can rely on our attorneys’ decades of experience handling property damage insurance claims. We have been handling property damage insurance claims in Fort Lauderdale for almost 30 years. We understand what is at stake, and we know what it takes to protect your legal rights.
- You can feel confident knowing that we have helped numerous homeowners and business owners secure coverage after hurricanes, tornadoes and other severe storms. While we cannot guarantee that we will be able to secure coverage, you can feel confident knowing that you have an experienced and focused legal team on your side.
- You can focus on restoring your normal life or getting your business back up and running while we handle all aspects of your insurance claim on your behalf. As we handle your claim, we will keep you updated and informed throughout the process, and you will be able to focus on getting things back to normal.
Contact Maus Law Firm in Fort Lauderdale for a Free, No-Obligation Consultation
Do you need help securing property damage insurance coverage after a major storm in Fort Lauderdale? To discuss your claim in a free, no-obligation consultation, please call 855-999-5297 or inquire online today.