Safety Tips For Avoiding Slip-and-Fall Accidents
In 2010, approximately 43 out of every 1,000 Americans suffered a nonfatal fall injury. Although many of these incidents occurred during sporting events or while people were at home, a large percentage of them occurred in various work environments. Accidents continue to happen because of the many hazards an employee or shopper will encounter at a business. Everyone loses since slip and fall accidents cause numerous injuries, days off work and decreased productivity in Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Boca Raton and throughout South Florida.
Take a few minutes to review the safety tips below so you can avoid becoming another labor accident statistic.
Safety Tips For Avoiding Slip and Fall Injuries
- Wear flat, sensible shoes with rubber soles. People who put fashion ahead of safety are more likely to fall while wearing risky high-heels at work;
- Glance down as often as you can, surveying the floor surface. Although you can easily fall if you don’t watch what’s right in front of you, make it a habit to look down periodically to be sure you’re not about to step into a puddle of water or slip on some office supplies that may have just fallen to the floor;
- Never carry too many books or boxes. It’s too easy to fall when you’re carrying a large number of heavy objects. If necessary, obtain a roller cart of some sort to help you move materials from one part of the office to another;
- Alert the business or employer if there are any wet or overly waxed floor surfaces. This is especially important on rainy days when many workers and shoppers are tracking in water;
- Use handrails whenever climbing office staircases. This is especially important when carrying a heavy briefcase or stacks of materials from one part of the office to another — when it’s not practical to use an elevator;
- All businesses and employers should have measures in place to ensure floors and open areas are checked regularly for water or other spills.
Businesses in Florida owe its employees and shoppers the duty of maintaining its premises in a reasonably safe condition, free of hazards that could injure employees or shoppers in Florida.
If you’ve suffered any type of serious slip and fall accident or injury, contact the Law Offices of Joseph M. Maus. You can obtain the help you need with pursuing your claim. Call Toll Free today at: (855) 999-LAWS.