FAQ’s about Rideshare Accidents
Ridesharing services like Uber and Lyft are transport companies that will drive you around town just like a taxi. It is estimated that there are 2 million Uber and Lyft drivers in the United States. And because of the large volume of ridesharing drivers on the roads, you can expect that a large number of car accidents are caused by an Uber or Lyft Driver. In addition to car accidents, Uber and Lyft have been sued for instances of physical and sexual assault in their vehicles.
Do Uber and Lyft drivers have insurance?
In 2017, the Florida Legislature enacted Florida Statute §627.748 to make sure ridesharing drivers had valid and collectable insurance. The Statute requires Uber and Lyft drivers to have insurance while working for the companies.
How much insurance is an Uber or Lyft driver required to have?
If an Uber or Lyft driver has a paying passenger in the car, Florida Law requires the companies to have a minimum of $1,000,000 in coverage for death, bodily injury and property damage. This coverage only applies when the Uber or Lyft driver is transporting a passenger.
If the Uber or Lyft driver is not in the process of transporting a paying passenger, Florida law only requires $50,000 for death and bodily injury per person, and $100,000 per accident. Uber and Lyft drivers are also required to carry PIP coverage (link to explanation of PIP coverage elsewhere on the site) in the amount of $10,000. PIP coverage is used to pay for medical bills and lost wages.
Why do Uber and Lyft drivers cause accidents?
Uber and Lyft drivers are more prone to causing an accident because of the nature of what they do. Most Uber and Lyft drivers are not familiar with the place they are driving to, and have to rely on their cell phones or GPS to get directions. The attention is always being diverted away from the road looking to get directions. Additionally, their cell phones are constantly going off when a new passenger is looking for a ride, further taking their attention away from safely driving their car. The Maus Law Firm always obtains cell phone records in car accident claims to determine whether a driver was active on their cell phone at the time of the accident.
What do I do if my car is hit by an Uber or Lyft driver?
There are a number of steps a person can take if their car is hit by an Uber or Lyft driver:
- Call the police – it is important to document who is at fault for causing the accident, and how it occurred
- Take photographs – if you are not injured too badly, take photographs of the location of the cars and the damage caused to the cars
- Contact a lawyer – if you are injured, a car accident lawyer that handles ridesharing claims can locate insurance coverage and help recover the maximum value of your claim.
What do I do if I am injured while riding in an Uber or Lyft vehicle?
According to Florida Law, all Lyft and Uber drivers must carry bodily injury insurance coverage. Bodily injury coverage is the type insurance coverage that will all you to recover for your injuries, lost wages, and pain and suffering. If you are injured while riding in an Uber or Lyft vehicle, take these steps as soon as possible:
- Call the Police – insist the Uber or Lyft driver stay at the scene of the accident so that the Police can get the driver’s name and insurance information
- Photograph the scene of the accident – document where the accident occurred and the location of the vehicles
- Contact an Uber Lyft accident attorney to help you recover the full value of your claim
Safety Tips for Riding in Uber or Lyft
- Make sure the driver you hire is the person whose car you get into. Your Uber or Lyft app should identify the name of your driver, the make, model and color of their car, and their license plate.
- If riding in a group, be on the lookout for intoxicated passengers. The Uber or Lyft driver have the ability to deny access to the vehicle.
- Watch your driver – make sure they are paying attention to the road, and not to their cell phone
Can I recover for injuries suffered due to an Uber or Lyft car accident?
Florida law allows a person injured in a car accident to recover money for their injuries. It also allows a person to recover money for medical bills, future medical care, lost wages and a loss of your ability to return to your chosen line of work, and pain and suffering. A Florida car accident lawyer can advise you of your rights and help you recover your full damages.
Maus Law Firm Provides Aggressive Representation for Rideshare Accidents
For more than 25 years, people involved in car accidents have been relying on the Maus Law Firm. The best attorney to handle your car accident needs extensive experience in handling rideshare accident claims, and needs to be an aggressive car accident lawyer in Florida. For a free consultation to discuss your rideshare Uber/Lyft car accident claim, contact the attorneys at the Maus Law Firm.